How To Eat A Summer

unnamed.jpg

While I was running earlier this week, I was reminiscing about my summer and thinking how thoroughly I’d enjoyed it. The first several lines of this poem popped into my mind, and the rest soon followed. Once home, I jotted it all down and played around with it a bit. With roots in my summer fun and a nod to Eve Merriam’s inspiring poem How To Eat A Poem, here it is:

How to Eat A Summer

I gobbled up summer
like Eve Merriam
might eat a poem
taking greedy bites
so luscious juicy streams
escaped my lips
rolled down my chin
then fell in bright sticky drops
onto my outspread fingers
from which I licked up
every delicious bit

There was nothing left
to throw away

Molly Hogan (c) 2017

For this week’s Poetry Friday Roundup, head on over to Jone Rush McCulloch’s blog, Check It Out. Don’t forget to bring your appetite!

40 thoughts on “How To Eat A Summer

Sounds like your summer was something to savour!

2. Tabatha says:

I like your joyous, luscious stream! Your cool variant made me wonder how I ate this summer, and last summer, since both had a lot of challenges. I feel like they were maybe like eating an enormous ear of corn, where you just keep going, sort of like one foot in front of the other, only with chewing…:-)

I love your “corny” thoughts, but I’m sorry you had so many challenges these past two summers. I do know how that feels! This summer was especially wonderful in contrast with last summer. Although I’m not sure which food last summer would have been, it definitely gave me indigestion!

What a wonderful joy-filled poem. I miss my summer. It was just like this.

Thanks, Margaret. I’m thinking a lot about what made my summer so fulfilling and which elements might survive a transplant to the busy school year. Here’s hoping we both create equally memorable falls!

4. Irene Latham says:

“Nothing left to throw away” is brilliant in this poem, and in life. Yay for that experience! Thank you for your poem.

5. Sounds delicious! Savour every sticky, juicy, delicious moment!

Oh I love that ending. Summer is something to savor, and “from which I licked up/every delicious bit,” Molly. I’m glad your run ended in a wonderful poem!

It’s amazing how much I think about writing while running, but it typically involves more bits and pieces. It surely was a treat to finish up a run with a poem in mind!

7. This was great. it sounds like you had a wonderful summer!

8. Mmm, what does summer taste like? Sweet tea on a cool morning, soft ice cream swirl, cotton candy clouds at sunrise?

9. So sweet and delicious, this is. I’m definitely gobbling up big bites now that I’m returning to work on Tuesday. Great job!

10. Yummy! I gobbled your poem right up, too!

11. Yum–a delicious poem to end the summer with!

12. Nice! Love that there’s nothing left to throw away. I feel the same way about the summer I’ve had. It’s been fabulous… even though most of it was spent at home (or maybe that’s why it was so great!).

13. Molly, I love this! “I licked up/ every delicious bit!” So glad you had a wonderful summer. Wishing you a great school year as well!

14. Donna Smith says:

Sounds like a well spent summertime!

15. Oh, this is fantastic! I love it. What a great poem to begin the school year….instead of that “what I did over summer break” report (which I doubt many do any more)

Exactly the kind of summer I had, too. It was refreshing and rejuvenating!

17. dmayr says:

Can I ask a process question? When running do you carry your phone and do you record the lines as they pop into your head? Or stop to jot down a thought? Do you often forget something by time you get home?

I don’t carry a phone so I tend to repeat lines that I like as I think of them, then add to that. Then repeat what I like. It’s probably not efficient at all, but it gets kind of rhythmic as I thud along and it definitely helps me not notice the hills! I try to jot things down as soon as I get home, but I definitely forget things sometimes. Usually if I can remember a couple of key lines, they trigger the rest. But not always.

I enjoyed your delicious poem so much Molly that I want you to share it on my summer gallery. Are you interested in pairing this with a photo of summer in your area and sending it to me?

19. macrush53 says:

I might have to write my own, yours is so delicious. Thank you for this mentor text.

20. I could gobble up this poem, Molly, it’s so satisfying! Hope your fall meets the high bar set by your summer. 🙂

21. macrush53 says:

Molly, you won a copy of Pet Crazy. Please email me your address. macrush53 (at) yahoo dot com