In the blue ceramic bowl…

poetry-friday-logo-300x205

In the blue ceramic bowl
on the kitchen floor
the cat food sits
untouched
each morning
a jolting reminder that
outside beneath the apple tree
two small mounds
of fresh-turned soil
slowly settle

Molly Hogan (c) 2017

It’s been a very sad week at our house. We had to put our cat, Ling Ling, down on Monday and our cat, Tunafish, on Tuesday. I still haven’t been able to bring myself to clean out their food bowl.

To read more poetry this week, head on over to Kathryn Apel’s blog where she hosts the Poetry Friday Roundup this week, Aussie style!

23 thoughts on “In the blue ceramic bowl…

1. Amy Warntz says:

Thinking of you in this time of loss.

Oh, Molly. That is too, too sad. Hugs. xx

3. Oh, what a terrible week! I remember when we lost a cat years ago, even my tough father “got something in his eye”. Thinking of you at this tough time. 😦

4. Peggy says:

So emotional to face the loss of two much-loved cats in two days. My heart goes out to you, Molly.

And your second cat, too? I am so sorry for this, Molly. Your poem captures the sad feelings. Hugs to you.

6. Oh, Molly, I’m so sorry! Sending hugs.

7. Two! Our hearts are with you.

8. Patty says:

Molly, so sorry to hear- that’s too much sadness so quickly. Sending hugs.❤️

9. So sorry to read this…and what a moving poem you’ve written.

10. I’m so sorry Molly. Your poem is so haunting and conveys you feeling of loss.

11. Losing a pet is the worst! But losing two?! Oh, my goodness. I’m so sorry. It’s going be rough for a while. I love how you very artistically put your feelings into words in your poem. Be gentle with yourself today.

12. haitiruth says:

😦 So sorry! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

Oh, my! To lose two furry friends in such quick succession! Deep condolences. Your poem said so much with the images of the bowls and mounds. Heartbreaking.

14. I am so sorry. Your poem is a heartbreakingly beautiful tribute to them.

I haven’t had the heart to go to the mound below the oak tree where our dear Bill is buried. A memory on Facebook came up today of him in a tree. He loved climbing trees. I keep thinking I need to make a marker of some sort. Did you mark their graves? Feeling deep sympathy for you.

Thanks, Margaret. I’m sorry about your Bill. Those Facebook memories can really kick you in the gut, can’t they? For now I marked the graves with two field stones. Long ago we buried our cat, Quincy, and planted a flowering quince at her gravesite. I think I’m going to plant some sort of perennials at these graves, but I haven’t decided yet.

16. Oh, Molly. I still remember my cat, Sam. I have a warm spot in my heart that hears his purring as I pet him. XOXO

17. Oh my goodness, Molly. I’m so sorry. Your poem is beautiful, poignant, and heartbreaking.

18. I’m so sorry about your cats Molly, sending you a hug, xo. I like the unfolding and meandering of your poem, hope the writing helped a little bit.