Sweet as a cupcake–a slice from earlier this month

11454297503_e27946e4ff_hK. wandered up to my desk at the beginning of the day. She touched a tulip blossom.

“Oh, these are pretty! Why do you have flowers?”

“Mrs. V. gave them to me for my birthday,” I replied.

“It’s your birthday?” she asked, looking at me incredulously.

“Yes,” I said.

“You’ve got to tell everyone!” she insisted.

I laughed. “It’s not a secret,” I said, “but I don’t think I need to announce it.”

She stared at me for a long moment. Clearly this idea defied comprehension. “How old are you?” she finally asked.

“51.”

“Oh,” she said. Then she repeated, “You’ve gotΒ to tell everyone it’s your birthday! Are you going to tell them at morning meeting?”

“Probably not,” I said, then laughed again at the expression on her face.

Later that morning after I walked my class out to recess, I returned to the room and sat down at my desk. There atop my stack of papers was a homemade birthday card. The cover was decorated with a picture of a cake emblazoned with the number 51. Inside was a cute drawing of a cat. Smiling, I remembered snack time and K asking me “casually” about my favorite animal. How did she manage to make that card without me noticing?

Heading back from lunch, I thanked her, “K. I love my card–especially the cat! Thank you so much!”

She beamed. Then she glanced at me sideways and confided, “I might have told a few people about your birthday.”

By the end of the day a small collection of surreptitiously created cards was piled on my desk. A sweet birthday surprise. Thanks, K!

IMG_2477.jpg

14 thoughts on “Sweet as a cupcake–a slice from earlier this month

1. jcareyreads says:

A sweet slice for sure!

2. terierrol says:

Yes, those kids can be so sweet. Happy belated birthday!

3. Nothing better than some handmade cards to brighten a day! WHat a sweet girl!

So sweet and special! My birthday is in August so we were usually not in school until more recently. I tell the kids and bring in a treat for everyone. They love sharing my special day with me. I agree with K. I think you should tell them. Birthdays are meant to be celebrated.

5. Wow! I love that story. K is a sweetheart and so good to have you affirmed by the kids who really know you! Congrats! Take these cards to the class of preservice teachers that you talk to next. I’d have you come to UNE but there’s the little problem of having retired seven years ago!

K is a sweetheart. I was lucky enough to teach her in first grade as well and having her in class again this year has been a highlight. Has it already been seven years since you retired? Wow!

6. Jen says:

What a wonderful slice! Fourth graders are pretty awesome!

7. Beth says:

This is so sweet!

8. judyman says:

Now THAT restores my faith in humanity and its future. Lovely story.