PF: The Gift of Dawn

This week’s Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by the warm and talented Irene Latham at her blog, Live Your Poem. This year her ARTSPEAK poems center on the theme of Happy. I’ve loved following along as each day focuses on an inspiring piece of art and her poetic response. Wow!  This is the blog to visit if you want a lift in your day!

74707-poetry-friday-logo

Not long ago, I came across the poem Rhapsody by William Stanley Braithwaite.

Rhapsody

I am glad daylong for the gift of song,
     For time and change and sorrow;
For the sunset wings and the world-end things
     Which hang on the edge of to-morrow.
I am glad for my heart whose gates apart
     Are the entrance-place of wonders,
Where dreams come in from the rush and din
     Like sheep from the rains and thunders.

I read it again and again, and kept it open in a tab on my browser, so I could easily return to it. Something about it resonated with me, and then inspired me to write my own poem, lifting the beginning words, and using the same rhyme scheme.

The Gift of Dawn

I am glad daylong for the gift of dawn
for glowing morning light
by the river’s side with the shifting tide
where birds and dreams take flight
I am glad to roam from secluded home
to cast off my worries and woes
to embrace day’s start with a grateful heart
at peace with howe’er it flows

©Molly Hogan, 2019

DSC_0418.jpg

22 thoughts on “PF: The Gift of Dawn

1. Thank you for giving us this gift of a poem, Molly. The photo is stunning, too!

That is a beautiful poem and picture, Molly. Mentor texts do inspire and this one certainly got you thinking.

This poem lulls me like a lullaby or the rocking of a gentle boat, peaceful and calm. We share a love of the morning.

Hush! What a beautiful moment. Your gentleness and joy just softly sings out of that poem.

Braithwaite’s poem is an inspiration for sure, Molly, but so is yours. With your marvelous sunset pictures, I can see why you are inspired. It’s a lovely poem.

6. Tabatha says:

“Rhapsody” is one of the few poems I (mostly) know by heart. Great pick for a mentor poem! You really have the rhythm and sound down, and a beautiful sentiment. Lovely.

7. jama says:

Just beautiful (stunning photo too)! I like your poem more than Braithwaite’s. 🙂

8. Thank you for sharing BOTH poems, and the lovely image, too… it’s nice to pause and be thankful here this morning.

9. Linda Mitchell says:

Oh, I love the conversation that comes from reading a poem and responding to it with poetry. It’s one of my favorite ways of writing poetry…to respond to another poet in this way. I love the, “I am glad for…” I might just have to respond too!

10. What a lovelly poem, Molly. It’s a wonderful reminder to enjoy the dawn I’m seeing right now and be grateful for the day ahead and all of its possibilities.

11. What a lilt, what a lift–you’re good in the Victorian register, Molly! Thanks for the rose-colored view.