Poem Seed Poems

About two weeks ago, I received an unexpected gift from Linda Mitchell — a delightfully crafted packet of Poem Seeds! What a treasure! (Thanks again, Linda!) I’ve played with them several times since then and here are a few of my seedling efforts.

This week’s Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by Irene Latham at her blog, Live Your Poem. She’s sharing her last ArtSpeak: Red poem of 2020, inspired by a charming Christmas Bird.

25 thoughts on “Poem Seed Poems

1. Lovely seedlings you’ve sprouted Molly! I had to come by as we both were gifted with one of these creative poem seed packets by Linda, a treasure to enjoy through the winter…

2. Mitchell Linda says:

Love all the fun combinations!

3. bjleepoet says:

really neat poems! I used to know a poet a long tme ago who would write all his poetry like this, with noun phrases, verb phrases , etc. in piles on the floor. He’s since graduated to more “filled out” poetry, but the influence can still be felt. Here’s a link to some of his poetry if you are interested. https://atlasandalice.com/2020/08/13/poetry-from-cliff-saunders/

4. Your seedlings grew into a bushel of fresh ‘colour in motion’ poetry, Molly. What a gift! (for you and us :))

5. Those poetry seeds are so wonderful, and look what you’ve grown with them! Rising wonders indeed… Happy Poetry Friday! xo

Each one is a pleasure ‘grown’, Molly. I especially love that ‘complete poetry’! Wishing you a wonderful day on this Christmas like no other!

7. haitiruth says:

So wonderful! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

8. It would be great to see what fourth graders would do with poem seeds! Will you and your students go back to the classroom on January 4? Our daughter’s school in Massachusetts will go remote for the two weeks after Christmas vacation and then return to in-class learning.

9. Liz Steinglass says:

What a wonderful gift!

Your assessment poem is spot on!

Inspired by Linda, I am going to buy myself a set of exacto knives and start hacking apart old magazines and junk mail. Also inspired by Linda, I will call these scraps “poem seeds” and see what they grow.

Home-grown poems sprouted from the care Linda took to bring inspiration to you, Molly. I especially like #3, The ideas and different fonts find a place to rise from inside your imagination.

12. Liz Garton Scanlon says:

This is such a pretty post to LOOK at! Thanks for sharing your poetic plants!

13. Leigh Anne Eck says:

What a lovely gift and I love the idea of “poem seeds.” I have a huge envelope of magazine scraps that I play with. I usually don’t glue them so I can reuse words. I am thinking about how I could use this idea in the classroom! You’ve got me thinking…

Isn’t “poem seeds” the best name for these? Such an engaging thoughtful gift. I think kids would have a blast with them. I usually do a year end Poetry Jam and have different stations for kids and parents to write poetry together. One of them is for found poems created with magazine words and it’s always popular.