SOLC Day 10: There has to be a better way…

March 2021 SOLC–Day 10
A huge thank you to Two Writing Teachers for all that they do to create an amazing community of writers and a safe, welcoming space to write, learn, share and grow.

Everyone’s talking about it and it’s hard to know exactly what’s true and what to do.

“I hear you can get on a wait list if you call directly.”

“They said on the news there won’t be as many doses available this week.”

“You have to log in at midnight to find new appointments.”

“I hear the school is going to send an e-mail with a link.”

This past weekend, the message from a friend came in early.

“Just scheduled both doses!”

“What!? Where? How’d you do it?”

“Walgreens. It refreshes at 7am. You have to make an account beforehand and get ready to go right at 7. Have a list of zip codes and be prepared to leave your area.” This was followed up by another quick message, “Oh…and enter lots of zip code options. You’ve got to be willing to travel.”

“OK. Thanks! I’ll try tomorrow.”

Next morning…7 am…it begins.

I log into the Walgreen’s site.

04008

“No appointments available within 25 miles of Bowdoinham, Maine for next three days.”

04011

“No appointments available within 25 miles of Brunswick, Maine for next three days.”

04101

“No appointments available within 25 miles of Portland, Maine for next three days.”

After attempting 5 or 6 more zip codes, I switch over to our local grocery store chain, Hannaford.

04008

“No appointments available within 50 miles of Bowdoinham, Maine.”

04011

“No appointments available within 50 miles of Brunswick, Maine.”

I keep at it, entering zip code after zip code with no success.

Then this happens:

What!? Are you kidding me?

This process is really taxing my recent effort to “keep it positive”.

Sigh.

There has to be a better way.

30 thoughts on “SOLC Day 10: There has to be a better way…

1. carwilc says:

Oh my gosh! This sounds so frustrating! My school district set up our appointments at Children’s Hospital. Hearing about everyone else’s attempts, I feel really guilty that it was so easy! I hope you get an appointment somewhere really soon!

I’m glad you had it easy. This really has been a stressful process! I’m posting about my new strategy in tomorrow’s post 🙂 Got to keep a sense of humor!

2. Ugh!! It is so frustrating to get an appointment. I’m in NY and it’s been similar. I even wrote a slice on it a couple days ago too! It really feels like another scene from the dystopian novel we’ve been living for a year. Good luck to you.

It’s hard to believe how ridiculously challenging this is! I’m trying to keep a positive lens–at least this means lots of people must be getting vaccinated!

3. amyilene says:

When our vaccines first became available for teachers, it was a mad rush (digitally speaking). Most of us from a certain generation felt like we were trying to get tickets to see our favorite band! And then there is the reality of the access and privilege that is glaring. I hope you get an appointment soon….

4. Christine says:

I agree. There has to be a better way to get us all vaccinated in a sane manner without the games and frustration. I can feel your emotions in this post so clearly. I am hoping a future post will tell us otherwise.

5. The frustration is REAL and you captured it perfectly in this slice. I do hope you are able to get an appointment soon. I agree with you in that there has to be a better way! I will keep you in my thoughts! 💛

6. humbleswede says:

This is really frustrating. My daughter had an extra role at the eye doctor where she worked. She became an expediter, helping patients find a vaccine site. It doesn’t seem like that should be necessary. I suppose the good news is that people are getting the vaccine. There had been some doubts about that. I hope you have success soon!

Thanks! My dad and stepmother only got their appointments because someone at their dentist’s office knew of a place with appointments available. It’s amazing how different it is from state to state. I am trying to focus on the positive of many people getting vaccinated.

7. I can feel the frustration in every word of this slice. Try to positive!

8. Really! I thought you teachers were going to the head of the line??? And yet we have friends in their 60s getting appointments right and left. They put their names on two lists (one in York and one in Scarborough) and were called within days. A friend said Monday there were three spots in Boothbay Harbor, but they didn’t want to travel from Kittery. I wish I had more encouragement.

It’s a very frustrating process. I do know more and more teachers who’ve gotten appointments, but I’m still trying. In the meantime, I’ve come up with a new approach–I’ll share tomorrow 🙂

9. terierrol says:

I feely your pain. Yes, there should definitely be a better way, but hang in there. There are more doses coming available. I waited a while for my first shot, and the second is scheduled for next week. I wish I could have got the one shot deal from J&J!

This is so frustrating! I hope you get an appointment soon.

11. Fran Haley says:

In a word: Crazy! My district set up sites and had us sign up for slots – I got my first shot last week. There SHOULD be a better way than what you’re having to endure. It made me want to bang my head on a wall… your post reminded me of dealing with AT&T. No words…

I really don’t understand why school districts didn’t do this here. I think things have been especially challenging for Maine because our population is the oldest in the nation. On the silver lining side of things, I got a blog post out of it here and one for tomorrow as well! That’s worthy of celebration.

12. chuizar says:

I could completely relate. It felt like the hunger games when it opened up for teachers where I live. The only way I managed to get a spot is by following the messages from my colleagues, “spots just opened on at x location” until finally I was quick enough to get one. Good luck!

13. kd0602 says:

I totally agree with you! It’s been crazy here too. And inconsistent depending on where you live, which part of the state. But I’m feeling fortunate. Vaccination #1 is in the books–and hopefully my appointment for #2 will not be canceled! I know you’ll get your appointment soon.

Kim

Thanks for the optimism, Kim, and congrats on the first shot! I know many people who were able to get appointments yesterday, so I’m sure that I’ll get mine in the near future. I’ll be at it first thing this morning again.

14. […] on-line, frantically trying to capture an elusive vaccine appointment (see yesterday’s blog), I’ve decided to change my approach. With this context, he was 100% on board and even helped […]

15. haitiruth says:

Sounds so frustrating! We don’t have any in the country yet. But they have it next door in the Dominican Republic. I had heard we might get it in February – guess not –
    Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

Oh, Ruth, that makes me so sad. There’s just so much inequity involved in this. Fingers crossed that you’re able to access a vaccine sooner rather than later.