Infusing Photos with Poetry?

Life’s been tougher than usual lately. I’m pushing myself to get back into a rhythm of regular posting again. Poetry and photography take me a bit out of myself, offer a sort of respite from daily life. So, I’m dabbling, not working on anything in particular, but enjoying mixing some photos and poems.

The path
of decapitated seed heads
leads the way
onward
upward
toward the light

©Molly Hogan

This week Michelle Koogan is hosting the Poetry Friday Round up on her blog. She’s celebrating birthdays with her poetry and art. Be sure to stop by and join the festivities!

PS Thanks for the post title idea, Tim Gels!

23 thoughts on “Infusing Photos with Poetry?

1. Linda Mitchell says:

That first photo…that first poem. It’s just so true. Even the decapitated seed heads. Everything about the pairing shines. And, hooray for garden collage. I’m all in for that! I’m really hoping your weekend gives you some rest.

2. Tim Gels says:

Molly, life has been tougher than usual for a lot of us, hasn’t it? I don’t know many people who aren’t sort of running on fumes nowadays (to be fair, most of my friends are teachers, and, well, it is the end of May).

I like this mix of photos and poetry. Way back when I used to know almost everything, I thought that a picture alongside a poem took the reader down a path she might not have taken on her own, but over the last few years I’ve come to appreciate the mixed media approach. You’ve done it so well through this post — thank you! (I do like the post title. {smile})

These last few weeks of school I feel like a decapitated seed head beelining on a trajectory to summer easy days. I love how you infuse photos with poetry. Hang in there!

Molly, I know that you are juggling many balls so the first imagepoem speaks so well of the struggles and the path to an unfolding and untying of the knots. I am beelining toward peace in your 2nd poem. I’m off to visit my young garden. Can’t wait to hear about the wedding.

5. haitiruth says:

So sorry about the challenges you’re going through, Molly! Thinking of you! I love your photos and poems, as always. Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

6. Denise Krebs says:

Molly, sweet photos and poems today. I like that idea of infusing the photos with poetry. We look differently when we see it through your words, like the decapitated seed heads toward the light at the end of the row in your photo.

Your garden collage too–so lovely. What a way to think of a garden with all the textures and colors.

Hang in there and keep posting!

Thanks, Denise. My poetry and photography are so intertwined and I loved Tim’s image/idea of infusing photos with poetry ( a recent comment on a blog post).

7. In this stressed time for you, we receive these poems & fotos as generous gifts that uplift us, Molly. Wishes for less tough in your life & more softness in days ahead. The bee about to land is mesmerizing as is the garden collage poem. All a hug to us. Hope these comments are a hug back.

8. tee+d says:

This is lovely!

9. Molly, as an avowed photographer, I found myself drawn to your post. The photographic image sharpens our sensibility for detail. We begin to see possibility in things others overlook. Your words and pictures are testimony to this important matter. Thank you for sharing this and helping to affirm some beliefs.

10. janicescully says:

Your photo inspired a lot of questions. How those seed heads got there, for example. Lovely post. Photos are great prompts.

11. I love the contrast between the black and white in the bottom of your first photo and the bits of amber light and blue color at the top—your poem works so well with it! Love the “nectar trajectory” too! Your images are filled with sensitivity, thanks for sharing them and gifting us with this pause. (Oh would I love a summer off, but my teaching marches on…)

It feels like a blessing to be able to notice and capture the beauty in our worlds over these past months, Molly. I love your own noticing and the ‘infusing’ with poems. The trajectory up in the first is lovely, the “onward and upward”, here I go attitude. I still haven’t seen the first bee but surely I think, they are coming!

13. Karen Edmisten says:

Ohmygosh, the juxtaposition of the decapitation with the climb toward the light — it really hit me, Molly. Power in such a short piece.

Beautiful pairings, both of them. Thanks.