Snow Day Poems

unnamed

One of my writing goals this year is to attempt to write more structured forms of poetry. Not long ago I even took some notes about the structure of sonnets. Yes, sonnets! Yikes! Just the word is intimidating! But a funny thing happened. At the end of a recent snow day, I wrote the following poem, as usual, in free verse:

DSCN8978Snow Day

Perhaps come June
I’ll lament this day
but for now I luxuriate
as the storm paints the landscape
and daubs each tree limb
with generous swirls of white
and acrobatic squirrels leap
from branch to branch,
releasing shimmering snowfalls
and a flock of puffed up bluejays
perches on branches,
a tufted winter bouquet

M. Hogan (c) 2018

The next morning, I woke with the first line shifted in my head: Come June, I may lament this snowy day. Immediately I thought–Oh! I could use that line to begin a sonnet! Game on! I got up, grabbed my notebook, printed out Browning’s Sonnet 43 (How Do I Love Thee) as a mentor text, and got to work. And work it was–though ultimately, a labor of love.  I was so energized. I kept thinking–Whoa! I’m really writing a sonnet! A sonnet! I’m doing it! (This feels like real poetry stuff!) And now, I’m not sure which poem I prefer, but I’m simply delighted that this next one exists, lumpy head and all. Happy birthday to my very first sonnet.

Snow Day

Come June, I may lament this snowy day
but school is closed and time less tightly wound
and perching birds brush snowfalls to the ground
which shimmer, shift and shine along the way
So now my senses feast on Nature’s play
as snowflakes fall and muffle earthly sound
and paint the world a vision to astound
This wintry show doth take my breath away
The petty worries vanish from my mind
as window-bound I stare in sheer delight
and watch as snowflakes to each other bind
to mound until the world is only white
Within me joy and thanks grow intertwined
for all the world seems fresh and new and bright.

M. Hogan (c) 2018

This week’s Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by Carol Varsalona at her blog, Beyond LiteracyLink. Make sure to stop by and celebrate winter’s creative endeavors with Carol’s  post and the linked “flurry” of poems!

34 thoughts on “Snow Day Poems

1. Patty McLaughlin says:

I love the sonnet, Molly! Enjoy d the poem as well, but the sonnet had me slowing down to savor each word. Nicely done!

2. Irene Latham says:

Molly! You did an amazing job on the sonnet!! I, too, am a free verse kind of gal, and sometimes have challenged myself to write in form… and you know what? I ALWAYS learn something that I bring back to my free verse writing. Congratulations on your growth as a poet. 🙂 xo

3. Leigh Anne Eck says:

Happy Sonnet Birthday! You have captured a snow day perfectly. I struggle with form poetry – maybe it’s because I don’t like to follow the rules! And I have never tried a sonnet. Kudos to you!

Thanks, Leigh Anne. Free verse is my preference as well. I’m sure that sonnets will not become my “go to” form, but writing one was a great experience and I suspect I’ll try it again. (Ironically, in my daily life, I actually am a rule follower and try to make myself bend the rules a bit more!)

4. That shows the power of inspiration, intention and goals in editing. You took the poem to a deeper, more insightful place. Well done.

Molly, That sonnet knocked my socks off! I am so envious. I am going to copy and paste it into a document for myself to use as a mentor text. Happy Birthday, Snow Day Sonnet! So nice to meet you!

Margaret, I had a “terrible, horrible, no good, very bad” end of the day yesterday and your comment was such a mood-lifter! It really made a difference in my day. I’m honored that you’re going to copy my sonnet and can’t wait to see what you come up with! Thanks!!

Wow. Just wow and wow and wow. Having laboured over numerous sonnets, I am in awe of the beauty and effortless read of yours. Awe.

I absolutely adored your ‘tufted winter bouquet’ and thought the sonnet couldn’t do it justice – but it did!

I’m so pleased that you found this an “effortless” read, as I was really striving for that. It definitely wasn’t an effortless process-lol! Sonnet writing is a labor, isn’t it? Thanks, Kat!

7. Oh my, I haven’t thought about sonnets since high school English, how fun to read your wonderful poem!

High school English! I don’t think we read much poetry. All I remember is reading Hamlet and presenting some sort of something about Jim Morrison’s life. Is “Come on baby light my fire” poetic? lol I’ll have to reminisce a bit more and see what I come up with!

8. Stephaine Danahy says:

Molly you are amazing!!

9. Myra GB says:

I experience snow and winter vicariously through your poetry! Enjoy the cold – I send you sun and light and humidity from Singapore. 🙂

10. I. am. IMPRESSED! That’s an amazing sonnet. And, what’s more….I think the message of your poem is stronger and more vivid as a sonnet. Plus, your energy is contagious. Favorite line:Within me joy and thanks grow intertwined

Linda, you’re a part of the inspiration for this sonnet! You commented on my alligator poems a couple of weeks ago and shared a link to a call for kids’ poems for an anthology with the theme of thanks/gratitude. Then I read that the poems had to have a specific form. Ugh. I read further. The first possibility listed was… a sonnet! I sighed (pretty much resigned to not going there!) but then awoke with the first line of my sonnet…so I tried it. I had that (and more!) all in mind as I wrote. I’m not sure this is a great candidate for the anthology, but it was a great experience. Thank YOU!

Huzzah! Congrats! Happy Sonnet Birthday!

Molly, the sonnet is a beautiful revision that really captures the beauty of winter. Wow! Happy Sonnet Birthday and to put a cherry on the top, please offer your photo and sonnet for my Winter Wonderland Gallery. I look forward to your image poem gracing the gallery wall.

13. ehhansen says:

Molly I love both and, as always, am in awe of your expressive writings!

14. Wow! I’m impressed with your sonnet. That form still intimidates me, but I am currently reading a collection of sonnets that I’m enjoying. Maybe you and they will inspire me.

15. Like Kat, I love ‘tufted winter bouquet’ – and Way to Go on your first sonnet! Doesn’t read like a first sonnet. Your attentive observation and openness paid off in this lovely poem. Thanks for sharing!

16. Wow! That’s some poetry home school program you’ve got going there, Molly. Where do I sign up? Love both of these poems, but my oh my, that sonnet IS impressive!

17. Happy sonnet Birthday Molly your “world seems fresh and new and bright” with your beautiful, new sonnet! Here’s to many more.