Thanks for the Inspiration!

unnamed

With school in full swing and planning, conferences, grading, etc. eroding my free time, I am more grateful than ever for the on-line writing communities that inspire me and nudge me to keep on writing. So often another poet’s work sparks an idea or introduces me to a new form.  Often there’s a weekly challenge posed or an interesting prompt shared. Recently, Linda Mitchell has used a couple of my photos as prompts for her poems  (here and here). This reminded me that this is something I can do as well! Thanks, Linda!

amphibian secrets.jpg

Regular challenges are also an inspiration.  Michelle Heidenrich Barnes pairs up with interviewed poets to offer monthly challenges on her blog, Today’s Little Ditty. This month Calef Brown invited writers to create poems with two anthropomorphized objects interacting in some way. I was delighted when Michelle shared my effort on her blog earlier this week. I thought I’d share it here, as well.

KITCHEN GAMES

“Hey! Try to catch us if you can!”
they squeal, then run away
Broom dashes after valiantly
with sweeping, swashing sway

Broom’s mission is to seek Crumbs out
Their mission is to hide
beneath the fridge, behind the chair
and then to multiply

“Come on out, you scurvy creatures!
Get off our pristine floors!
We’ll sweep you to oblivion!”
her swishing bristles chorus

As they scurry ‘neath the counter
Crumbs tumble, bumble, jump
Broom pokes them out of corners, then
she piles them in a clump

She entreats her ally, Dustbin
to help her end the chase
together they corral the Crumbs
and put them in their place

A quick trip to waiting Trashcan
winds up the evening fun
Now at rest in closet corner
Broom smiles, her job is done

But later, Trashcan sneaks a glance
at dozing Bin and Broom
then slyly hiccups giggling Crumbs
and strews them cross the room

© 2018 Molly Hogan

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts, their poems, and their feedback. Poetry Friday is a bright spot in my days and I’m so grateful to be a part of this community!

This week’s Poetry Friday is hosted by Kay McGriff at her blog, A Journey Through the Pages. If you get a chance, check out her previous posts. Last week’s was a lovely tribute to her daughter–so sweet and nostalgic– and the week before she shared a nature-inspired Zeno. Thanks for hosting, Kay!

24 thoughts on “Thanks for the Inspiration!

1. Bwahahahahahaha! I love your ending. That ole trashcan has some spunk. And, this may very well be the first time in my life I’ve considered a dust bin any kind of ally. lol. I agree…the inspiration among the Poetry Friday folks is wonderful. I wish we could meet face to face someday. Keep those photos coming. I LOVE them.

2. Happy for any and all opportunities to read your story poem again, Molly! I’m also grateful to learn about those ancient amphibian secrets. Even with frogs, the eyes are the windows to the soul! I don’t have to know what the secrets are, it is enough to know that they crackle and glow.

I love that ‘crackle and glow’ in your first poem, and have seen and told you I adore your TLD challenge poem, Molly when I first read it. It is simply wonderful. A year or so ago I wrote a poem about a lonely wastebasket, the idea coming from a granddaughter who tried to put trash in this one wastebasket because I never used it & she said it was lonely, Ha! Your poem, & that final line reminded me that we can give many things feelings, even of “revenge”, right?

The inspiration and endless support of the PF folk keeps me writing. I love the kitchen banter and envy your use of rhyme and rhythm. And hilarious, too.

5. Kay Mcgriff says:

I love it! Are you sure you weren’t spying on my kitchen? I think those crumbs–or at least their good friends–have been camping out here. And I agree, Poetry Friday is a bright spot in my week. This community pushes and challenges me to grow as a writer and poet and supports me with such encouragement along the way.

I’m pretty sure that my broom should really write a poem or story of its lonely life in the cupboard. This poem was misleading. My poor broom rarely emerges to see the light of day and crumbs run rampant on my floors. Sad but true.

6. laurashovan222 says:

Michelle, that crackle and glow in your frog poem made me think of a Halloween scene — witch’s cauldron and the poor froggy ingredient.

7. Michelle, your poem is a hoot. And I finally have an excuse for all the crumbs that seem to linger on my own kitchen floor: The trash can did it!

Hooray for composing an amazing kitchen saga for Michelles’s challenge, Molly. Your poem kept me entertained right to the amazing end. As for the PF community, it is truly a group of supportive friends.

9. “Bronzed orb”– that’s a perfect description of your froggy’s eye (nice photo, too!) And thanks for the chuckle of your Kitchen Game.

10. As they say in my part of the world Molly, ‘It’s a cracker'(your poem, that is) I was ‘swept’ away by the humour, the voice, the alliteration and the use of personification. You mixed these elements so skillfully. Your poem celebrate the everyday-ness of this task.

Thanks, Alan. I love that you were “swept away” by my poem and I adore the phrase, “It’s a cracker.” I suspect the latter could lead to more crumb-related word play. 🙂

11. Thanks for this fun-frolic in the kitchen–I was smiling all the way through, and enjoyed that extra twist at the end by trashcan, “and strews them cross the room” And what a amphibian you shared with us along with the poem!