SOLC 2019 Day 16: Pizza Detox

11454297503_e27946e4ff_h

March 2019 SOLC–Day 16
A huge thank you to Two Writing Teachers for all that they do to create an amazing community of writers and a safe, welcoming space to write, learn, share and grow.

As much as I was looking forward to the end of the week, I was dreading it as well. This will not be a weekend. It is already over-scheduled with school work (reading, scoring, writing comments, planning…), and I’ll be back at school on Monday having had no substantial time to refresh.

I also feel unhappy about the week behind me. As we all tried to adjust to the clock change, the trimester ground to a halt. We administered assessment after assessment. Everyone was tired and on top of it, I was stressed. That combination doesn’t lead to creative or patient teaching. Put simply, I haven’t been my best self.

At the end of the day Friday, I sat at my desk, discouraged, trying to find the energy to stuff everything I could possibly need into my bags. I contemplated the coming weekend, the past week, and the weeks to come. Every dormant herpes simplex cell in my body quivered at attention, happily feeding on the incoming stress, ready to blossom at the slightest encouragement. I had to “detox”, at least a little.

Finally, I picked up the phone.

“Hey, Kurt,” I said when he answered, “You know what I really want to do?”

“What?” he asked, somewhat hesitantly.

“I want to drive to Portland and go get a giant piece of cheese-dripping pizza at Slab. Maybe even two.”

He laughed. “You want to drive all the way to Portland to get a piece of pizza?” he asked.

“Yes!” I replied somewhat desperately, “A big cheesy piece of pizza! I need a break. If I go straight home I’m going to start writing or working, and I want to hang out with you. I really need to get away.” I paused, then continued, “Also, if I’m going to eat pizza, I want it to be really good pizza!”

After some discussion, Kurt, good guy that he is, agreed that, while pizza wouldn’t be his first choice of a meal if we were driving half an hour into the city, he was okay with it.

So, I packed up, hefted my bulging bags into the car, and drove home. Forty-five minutes later we were on our way.

We enjoyed ourselves.

The pizza was delicious.

And now it’s time to work.

17 thoughts on “SOLC 2019 Day 16: Pizza Detox

1. TammyB says:

Some things have been off all over. I am not certain I can blame it all on the time change but I had a similar week. Things were off for sure.
    We had pizza last night too! Luckily to get great pizza we don’t have to drive far. I am looking forward to sleep this weekend. I have to get some extra rest because sleep patterns were disrupted almost every night.
    I send you joy and sunshine this weekend!

2. amyilene says:

Finding time to refresh is critical…finding time for pizza, also important.

3. Fran Haley says:

THIS:
    “Then, next week, we’re headed into state-mandated testing, so we’ve been prepping for that as well. I feel like a cog in a big ugly machine right now, running right over the children I’m supposed to be teaching, encouraging, supporting…bypassing their needs as I tend to the demands of the system.”

-You are singing my lament! I have envisioned this heavy machinery so many times, felt the oppressiveness, the counterproductiveness of it. Furthermore, I notice that everyone is currently running low on steam and courage. I am amused at how you found comfort in your cheesy slab of pizza. It may not heal all – but it helps. A “peace” of pizza. 🙂

4. paulabourque says:

Why haven’t I heard of SLAB before!? So many great places to eat in Portland. Is it in the old Public Market building? I usually go to Flatbread but I may need to make a drive to Portland for a Slab of pizza soon! Hope you get some rest this weekend. It is VITAL!

5. Jaana says:

I hope that this weekend will bring you a bit of refreshment along with work.

6. glenda funk says:

This is s fun twist on “detox” since we typically think about pizza as the antithesis of detox food. This image is going to make me dream: “Every dormant herpes simplex cell in my body quivered at attention, happily feeding on the incoming stress, ready to blossom at the slightest encouragemen.” I’m glad I’m not prone to cold sores.

7. humbleswede says:

I can identify with so much of this. We’re weeks away from the state tests, but I know all of those feelings. The week, the time change, the assessment, the working weekend, the bulging bag to lug home. Glad you were able to get away from it for a bit…or bite. Do you think we think about pizza and pie more in March because of the word ‘slice’ showing up on our screen every morning?

8. I live in Jersey and have driven to Staten Island for pizza – I get it! Thank you for a wonderful slice and a chance to connect over a food craving.

Paying attention to what you need, the fuel of a loving husband and pizza, will keep you going. Good luck on this upcoming testing week. I Hate testing with a Passion!

10. judyman says:

Sent from my iPhone

11. Pizza heals! A good guy in the clutch heals. Well-put description of what state-mandated testing does ” I feel like a cog in a big ugly machine right now, running right over the children I’m supposed to be teaching, encouraging, supporting…bypassing their needs as I tend to the demands of the system.” We are grinding our good (great in your case) teachers into dust and leaving the profession to the uninspired, less creative, duty-bound. John Dewey II – where are you!

12. Alice Nine says:

A drive and comfort food (“a giant piece of cheese-dripping pizza”) with your “good guy” — best way I know to “detox” Keep detoxing yourself!

13. Cara Wegrzyn says:

This Slice is spot-on in so many ways! Thanks for the reminder about the importance of taking a break…and having delicious pizza!

14. Loved reading how you carved out time for you and something that would make you happy! And yes, it’s a hard time in schools, but a good one, too. I love the warmer days and the longer hours of light!

15. terierrol says:

I agree that sometimes we need to “detox” or treat ourselves well. Then we can work, and there is always some more work to do. Take care of yourself.

16. Amanda Potts says:

Good pizza is almost always a good choice in my opinion. Sorry you’ve had a tough week. Your post makes me glad that standardized testing is limited in Ontario. Even then, I recognize this, “I feel like a cog in a big ugly machine right now, running right over the children I’m supposed to be teaching, encouraging, supporting…bypassing their needs as I tend to the demands of the system.” You’ve said it all too well.

17. kd0602 says:

What a perfect plan to lift your spirits and detox! Hang in there…